L permit (short stay permit)The short stay permit is valid for stays of the duration of less than one year. If you can prove that you have a job in Switzerland lasting between three months and one year, you will be granted a short-term residence permit for a period of validity corresponding to that of the employment contract. However, the Federal Council has set an annual maximum number of short-term residence permits for third-country nationals.

Permit B (residence permit): This residence permit is issued to third-country nationals who are staying in Switzerland for a longer period of time for a specific purpose, with or without gainful employment. The B permit for third-country nationals is usually issued for the first time on one year limited in time. There are annual fixed maximum numbers in the issuance of this pass. However, the B passes, once issued, are normally renewed annually if there are no reasons against renewal.

C permit (settlement permit): The settlement permit for third-country nationals is usually issued after a stay of ten years in Switzerland issued. This right of residence is unlimited and not subject to any conditions.

Ci permit (residence permit with gainful employment): This residence permit concerns spouses of officials of intergovernmental organizations and of members of foreign representations and their children up to the age of 25. It allows them to stay in Switzerland for the duration of the work assignment of the family member.

The Migration Department is responsible for residence permits in the canton of Obwalden:

Migration department
Office for Employment Obwalden
St. Antonistrasse 4
6061 Sarnen
Phone: 041 666 66 70
Fax: 041 666 66 75
Email: migration(at)ow.ch
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 08.00-11.45 and 13.30 to 17.00

You can find more information about residence permits here.
Here you will find the residence application for non-employed persons from third countries.

Scroll to Top