Family Planning

Family Planning

Where to get information about pregnancy and childbirth and how to protect yourself from an unwanted pregnancy - you will find answers to these and other questions in this section.


01. Where to get information about pregnancy and birth?

The most important contact person during pregnancy is the gynecologist. They carry out medical checks at regular intervals. In this way, they can monitor the development of the child and recognize possible dangers for mother and child. Freelance midwives (obstetricians) can also answer questions about the birth during pregnancy.

In the hospitals there are offers for Childbirth preparation courses. There you will learn interesting facts about birth, breastfeeding and the new tasks as parents. In some regions of Switzerland, these courses are held in different languages. You can find more information here.

In the Birth preparation courses of the Caritas there is useful information about pregnancy, birth and the first time with the baby. The courses are accompanied by intercultural translators.

Here you will find everything about the desire to have children, pregnancy, birth, baby and child.

The brochure "Our child" of Pro Juventute is available in seven languages. You can download the brochure directly from the Pro Juventute website or at distribution(at) order

Here you will find addresses of midwives in your area.

02. What are the formal preparations to be made before the birth?

Have the family ID card and the certificate of receipt ready. The hospital administration needs these documents for the registration of the child at the civil registry office. Here you can find where to apply for these documents.

The last few weeks before the birth is also the latest time to First names to choose for your child. At the hospital, you are expected to already know the child's name.

Insure your baby with the health insurance company even before he or she is born. This way, you do not have to fill out a health questionnaire and your child will enjoy unconditional coverage.

If the parents are not married, the father must recognize the child. That is, he must officially register at the civil registry office registered as the father. Unmarried parents are also contacted by the guardianship authority after the birth. This ensures that the child support payments are regulated.

03. Where should the child be born?

During pregnancy, the doctor or midwife will register you with the cantonal or district hospital for the birth. You can choose whether you want to give birth in a hospital or in a birth center. Most women give birth in a hospital. It is also possible to give birth at your home with the assistance of a midwife. However, these home births are only advisable for pregnancies without complications. For more information here.

Here you will find addresses of birth centers in Switzerland.

The free Brochure "Pregnancy, Motherhood contains information about prenatal care, pregnancy and birth. This brochure is available in 15 languages.

04. Where can I get support in the first period after giving birth?

In the days after birth, the mother should recover physically and mentally. During this first week (postpartum period), mother and child receive medical care. The basic health insurance covers the costs of examinations during pregnancy, birth and postpartum care. The health insurance also covers certain costs of birth preparation and breastfeeding counseling.

For the first period after birth at home, there are at the Mothers, fathers and parents counseling numerous courses on nutrition, development or education of the child. Some courses are also held in languages other than German.
A maternal and paternal counseling service is provided in the canton of Obwalden by the Spitex offered.

In Switzerland, there is a statutory Maternity Insurance: Working mothers are granted leave for 14 weeks after giving birth and receive 80 percent of the average salary (also called maternity compensation or maternity leave). There is no statutory paternity leave in Switzerland. Individual employers (e.g. the public administration of individual cantons) grant fathers paid paternity leave of a few weeks after the birth.

You can get more information about maternity insurance here or with your employer. In addition you will find here more information on maternity compensation and protection of the employee during maternity.

05. How to prevent unwanted pregnancy?

There are many different hormonal as well as hormone-free contraceptive methods. Here you will find an overview. A couple should talk together about the choice of the appropriate contraceptive method. A discussion with the gynecologist will also help. For some methods (e.g. the pill), a doctor's prescription is also necessary.

Attention: Only with the use of condoms you protect yourself from unwanted pregnancy and at the same time from sexually transmitted diseases. Condoms are available in many places: supermarket, department store or pharmacy.

Are you unplanned or unwanted pregnancy become, contact your health care provider or a family counseling center as soon as possible. If you decide not to have the baby, there is an option to terminate the pregnancy. Counseling centers can help you with this difficult decision. The professionals working there are bound by confidentiality.
In the canton of Obwalden there is the Family counseling in Sarnen or the Specialist office for life issues in Lucerne, which can help you here.

06. How to protect against sexually transmitted diseases?

Anyone who is sexually active must protect themselves against infectious diseases. In principle, the risk of contracting an STI during unprotected sex is high for both women and men. Accordingly, it is essential to use condoms, especially when having new or changing contacts.

Attention: Only with the use of condoms you protect yourself from unwanted pregnancy and at the same time from sexually transmitted diseases. Condoms are available in many places: supermarket, department store or pharmacy.

If you think you have a sexually transmitted disease, see a doctor as soon as possible. If you react quicklythe chance of recovery is greater.

During unprotected sexual intercourse, you can also become infected with viruses that can Cervical cancer trigger. This risk is particularly high in 16- to 25-year-old women. However, there is a vaccination against the viruses. Young women should be vaccinated before they become sexually active. That is why the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) recommends vaccination for all girls as early as 11 to 14 years of age.
Information about cervical cancer and the human papilloma virus can be obtained here.

Most sexually transmitted diseases are curable. There is one exception: AIDS. The immunodeficiency AIDS is the result of an infection with the HI virus. Aids is Not curable and can lead to various serious diseases and death.

Here you will find a list of diseases and information on how to protect yourself from AIDS and other infectious diseases. You can also get information about AIDS from the regional AIDS offices in Switzerland.

The brochure about partnership, contraception, rights and HIV (Aids) can be here can be downloaded in 12 languages.

Scroll to Top