In order for you to be able to have your family members join you in Switzerland, the following conditions must be met:

  • Your Apartment must be appropriate. Thus, it must correspond to the local conditions and be large enough for the whole family.
  • If you are an employee, your financial circumstances are not relevant. However, if you are self-employed or non-employed, you must be able to prove that you are financially responsible for the Maintenance of the family members can come up.
  • If you are a third-country national or a national of a third country, you must be able to prove that your stay is consolidated is. This means that you should be reasonably integrated and employed for at least 12 months.

In order to obtain a residence permit, the family members you wish to have join you in Switzerland must, among other things, meet the following requirements Documents can show:

  • a valid identity card or passport,
  • a visa in the case of persons who are subject to visa requirements,
  • a confirmation from the home country about the family relationship to the family member already living in Switzerland,
  • a confirmation that the maintenance of the family members joining them is taken care of, if the person already living in Switzerland is liable to pay maintenance for these family members,
  • Copy of the rental contract in Obwalden

You can find more information here

The Wanted for family reunification in the canton of Obwalden must be submitted to the Migration Department at the Office of Employment:

Migration department
Office for Employment Obwalden
St. Antonistrasse 4
6061 Sarnen
Phone: 041 666 66 70
Fax: 041 666 66 75
E-mail: migration(at)
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 08.00-11.45 and 13.30 to 17.00.

The Registration after moving to Switzerland is done by personal audition at the municipality of residence.

Scroll to Top